RealCall released a Pig Butchering Scam Report on November 30, one month after the release of Quarterly Report on Scam Calls for Q3 of 2022.
Pig Butchering Scam is the topic RealCall has been expecting to dig into since a long time ago because such reports on such a topic have been released by any organization even including FTC.
The main conclusions drawn from the report include:
- 96.08% of respondents have already or almost been trapped by pig butchering scams that have been rampant today.
- 40.4% of victims claim their first contact with scammers was via anonymous calls and texts and 25.7% of them via dating websites.
- The common scam awareness used to avoid ordinary types of scams may not be useful when it comes to pig butchering scams because they conform to a different scheme from ordinary ones.
- Blocking anonymous calls and texts efficiently and effectively boosts immunity against pig butchering scams.
The conclusions are made based on a survey of 996 RealCall users, interviews with scam victims, former scam sweatshop workers, advocates, rescue workers, etc., and some research in numerous channels.
In this report, the term “pig butchering scam” has been defined with the following features.
Among all the 996 respondents returning their questionnaires, 474 respondents (235 male and 239 female) claim they have truly gone through pig butchering scams and economic losses while 483 respondents (242 male and 241 female) almost fell into the traps of pig butchering scams. Some of them didn’t identify a scam until they were advised to invest in cryptocurrency and some of them refused to meet in person all the time based on numerous reasons.
40.4% of victims claim their first contact with scammers was via anonymous calls and texts and 25.7% of them via dating websites.
This report also indicates the reasons why ordinary scam awareness fails to effectively avoid pig butchering scams, including:
- Ordinary scammers aim to proactively cheat people but pig butchering scammers never do. They would rather “feed” the “pig” for a long time.
- Pig butchering scammers are patient and “nice” enough to expect their “pig targets” to grow big enough.
- Ordinary scammers always persuade victims to act immediately but pig-butchering scammers never do.
The end of the report also provides tips for anyone to be able to effectively avoid pig butchering scams:
- Block anonymous calls and texts
- Stay alert about cryptocurrency investment
- Don’t be ashamed to share your experiences or report to corresponding organizations
- A golden rule to keep in mind: when there’s something too good to be true, it must be a scam.
A full version of this report is provided below.
RealCall AI: a One-to-One Mobile Communication Guardian
This is how RealCall works on your phone: OpenAI + RealCall Blocklist.
Simply put, the more you use RealCall, the less risk you’ll receive spam or scam calls.
Between You and Scammers is RealCall AI as a One-to-One Mobile Communication Guardian.
Powered by OpenAI, the leading AI research and deployment company, RealCall AI is capable of automatically dealing with all risky and unwanted texts behind the screen. Based on the AI language model, ChatGPT 4 can analyze and process language input to identify patterns, sentiments, and intent and sense the trivial malicious intent hidden in the text message ordinary people fail to notice. Plus, with the continuously updated risky number database developed by RealCall team and long-term users’ reports, RealCall AI is capable of accurately and quickly identifying scam-likely texts and dealing with them in users’ personalized ways.
Instead of blocking alone, RealCall AI is capable of letting pass all the important and necessary text messages that really belong to users’ demands like those from real hospitals, banks, etc. Between you and scammers is RealCall AI as a one-to-one mobile communication guardian.