Have you ever received a phone call informing you that you are being sued for something you don’t even remember doing? You may have just fallen victim to a fake lawsuit scam call. These types of calls can be alarming, but with the right knowledge, you can protect yourself from these fraudulent calls. In this article, we’ll discuss how to identify and avoid fake lawsuit scam calls.
What are Fake Lawsuit Scam Calls?
Fake lawsuit scam calls are phone calls from scammers who pretend to be lawyers or law enforcement officers, claiming that you are being sued or facing legal action. They may demand payment or threaten legal action if you don’t comply with their demands. The goal of these scammers is to steal your personal information, money, or both.
How to Identify Fake Lawsuit Scam Calls?
It’s important to know how to identify fake lawsuit scam calls. The following are some red flags to look out for:
- The caller pressures you for immediate payment or personal information.
- The caller is using threatening or aggressive language to get you to comply with their demands.
- The caller claims to be from a law firm or government agency that you don’t recognize.
- The caller refuses to provide any details about the alleged lawsuit or legal action against you.
- The caller asks for payment via unusual methods such as gift cards, wire transfers or cryptocurrency.
Tips for Avoiding Fake Lawsuit Scam Calls
The following are tips on how to avoid falling for fake lawsuit scam calls:
- Don’t give out any personal information such as your social security number, bank account, or credit card information.
- Hang up the phone if the caller refuses to provide any details about the alleged lawsuit or legal action.
- Verify the legitimacy of the law firm or government agency that the caller claims to represent by searching for their contact information online.
- Do not make any payment to the caller unless you have verified the legitimacy of their claim and payment method.
- Register your phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry to avoid receiving unsolicited telemarketing calls.
Other Tips for Avoiding Scam Calls
Aside from avoiding fake lawsuit scam calls, here are some other tips to protect yourself from scam calls:
Don’t answer calls from unknown numbers.
If it’s an important call, the caller will leave a voicemail.
Use call-blocking features on your phone to block spam or unwanted calls.
Use caller ID to identify incoming calls and don’t answer calls from numbers you don’t recognize.
If you receive a suspicious call, report it to the Federal Trade Commission or your local law enforcement agency.
RealCall is an AI-powered phone call screening service that helps you avoid scam calls. It uses advanced voice recognition technology to screen incoming calls and detect potential scam calls. If a call is identified as a potential scam call, RealCall will block the call and provide you with a report on the call’s origin and nature.
RealCall is a reliable and effective tool to protect you from fake lawsuit scam calls and other types of scam calls. With RealCall, you can have peace of mind knowing that your phone calls are screened and protected.
In summary, fake lawsuit scam calls are becoming more common, but you can avoid falling victim to these scams by being vigilant and following the tips outlined in this article. With the help of RealCall, you can also have an additional layer of protection against scam calls. Stay safe and informed, and always be cautious when dealing with unsolicited calls.