RealCall has released its Quarterly Report on Scam Calls with the key conclusions as below:
- The fourth quarter of 2022 has seen RealCall block 2,131,655 scam calls in total.
- The week from November 27 to December 3, 2022, has witnessed the weekly top number of scam calls blocked by RealCall in the fourth quarter of 2022, that is, 204,851.
- On average, scam calls come most on Wednesdays and Tuesdays in the fourth quarter of 2022.
- Amazon fraud scams keep dramatically rising in Q4 of 2022.
Total Number of Blocked Scam Calls in Q4 of 2022 via RealCall
The fourth quarter of 2022 has witnessed 2,131,655 scam calls that have been blocked by RealCall. Among all the scam calls, 1,356,253 (63.6%) are blocked based on RealCall AI tech and number database, 743,601 (34.88%) are from VOIP numbers, 23,324 (1.09%) from toll-free numbers, and 8,477 (0.39%) from other channels.
The Week with the Most Scam Calls in Q4 of 2022
The week from November 27 to December 3, 2022, has witnessed the top number of scam calls blocked by RealCall in the fourth quarter of 2022, that is, 204,851.
Based on the table, the tenth week (November 27 to December 3, 2022) of Q4 has seen the most (204, 851) scam calls that have been blocked by RealCall, then comes the seventh and eleventh weeks.
“It (The tenth week) comes when online shopping gets all the buzz,” said Curry, the product manager of RealCall. “That is possibly the best time for scammers to take advantage of. Scammers favor gift card as a scam hook and gift cards look extraordinarily attractive as far as online shopping is concerned.”
The Days When Scam Calls are the Riskiest
On average, scam calls come most on Wednesdays and Tuesdays in the fourth quarter of 2022.
- The average number of scam calls coming on Wednesdays: 59,813
- The average number of scam calls coming on Tuesdays: 59,066
Therefore, to avoid scam calls, it’s best to set the highest scam alert on Wednesdays and Tuesdays. If strange or anonymous calls come to you on Wednesdays and Tuesdays, stay 100% alert!
Amazon Fraud Scams Keep Dramatically Rising in Q4 2022
The fourth quarter of 2022 has also seen Amazon fraud scams dramatically keep rising.
Call scammers claim to be from Amazon customer service department and urge recipients to “Press One” to engage with a service representative and take off the phony charge.
“The shopping season may push such a type of scams to go up in Q4 of 2022,” RealCall product manager Curry said, “We recommend consumers do not answer or respond to any calls claiming to be Amazon because the odds are now overwhelming that it will be a scam.”
In fact, the calls claiming to come from Amazon are not really coming from Amazon.
According to Amazon customer service department, while some departments at Amazon will make outbound calls to customers, Amazon will never ask you to disclose or verify sensitive personal information or offer you a refund you do not expect.
Earlier, FTC also alert consumers about fake calls from Amazon support and provide tips to effectively avoid being scammed:
- DO NOT press 1 to speak with customer support.
- DO NOT call a phone number they gave you.
- DO NOT give out your personal information.
If you think there may actually be a problem with one of your accounts, contact the company using a phone number or website you know is real.
47,749 new users start to use RealCall in the fourth quarter of 2022.
RealCall has been protecting people against all kinds of unwanted calls like spam calls, scam calls, and robocalls.
- Auto Block Over 99% of Unwanted Calls
- Accurate Detection and Smart Blocking of SMS Fraud
- Meet Answer Bots to Fool Telemarketers, Scammers, etc.
- Custom Block Calls in Categories
- Know Who’s Calling You, Based on a Powerful DataBase and Algorithms
Get RealCall on your phone, and receive all calls without any doubt.
The report pdf can be downloaded here: