Are you sick and tired of all the spam calls you get? Whether you are suffering from insistent injury lawyers, fraudulent IT specialists, a drunk-dialing ex, or car warranties, there are some measures to block annoying calls and messages. IPhone manufacturers and major carriers have upgraded their techniques against spam calls in recent years, so let’s look at how you can effectively block them.
- Turn on Silence Unknown Callers
- Block a Specific Number
- Consult Your Carrier
- Register National Do Not Call Lists
- Use the Third-Party App RealCall (Automatic Spam Call Blocker)
Turn on Silence Unknown Callers
To turn on Silence Unknown Callers, the following steps should be conformed to:
- Step 1. Open Settings.
- Step 2. Then tap on Phone.
- Step 3. Scroll down and tap on Silence Unknown Callers.
- Step 4. On the next page, you’ll see a description of the feature and a toggle to turn it on.
With this feature enabled, your iPhone will use “Siri intelligence” to determine whether a call is from a known number or not. If a phone number is found in your Contacts, Messages, Mail, or recent active calls, it comes through as usual. If it’s not found there, whether it’s a real phone number or an unlisted number, it will go straight to voice mail without ever even ringing. You’ll need to make sure to check your voicemail more frequently to ensure you aren’t missing legitimate calls that might be important.
Block a Specific Number
To block a specific number on iPhone, the following steps should be conformed to:
- Step 1. Open the Phone app.
- Step 2. Next, click on the “i” icon in the phone tab.
- Step 3. Once you tap into the caller’s details, scroll down and tap “Block this Caller.”
- Step 4. Tap “Block Contact” and you’re done!
The number will no longer be able to call you, message you or FaceTime call you. If you decide you want to unblock any numbers you’ve blocked, head over to Settings, then Phone, and Blocked Contacts. Inside you’ll see all of the numbers you’ve blocked. Tap Edit in the top right corner and you’ll be able to remove any number that’s by pressing the red (-) minus button and then Unblock.
Consult Your Carrier
You can also turn to free services that can be enabled via apps or your account from three of the biggest U.S. wireless carriers. Because these work at the network level, you’ll have fewer calls pass through to your phone which is problematic.
How to Block Spam Calls on AT&T Call Protect
The free flavor installs as an app for controlling features and viewing information, and blocks calls before they hit your phone as well as identifies ones that are sketchy. You can also create a personal block list. A paid option ($3.99 per month) adds reverse-number lookup and a few other security features.
How to Block Spam Calls on T-Mobile Scam Shield
T-Mobile’s free Scam Shield offers several layers of protection against spammers, including blockers, unknown caller ID, and an extra PROXY number that you can use when you don’t want to share your personal phone number. The service is free but you can upgrade to Scam Shield Premium ($4 per month) to send entire categories of unwanted robocalls directly to voicemail and create “always-block” lists.
How to Block Spam Calls on Verizon Call Filter
This Verizon app can be set to block and mark incoming calls by risk level as well as send calls straight to voicemail. A paid version ($2.99 per month) adds caller ID, a personal block list, and a spam risk meter.
How to Block Spam Calls on Boost Mobile
The Boost Call Screener is an add-on service provided by Boost Mobile to identify unknown, spam, and unwanted callers. This service is available for monthly Boost Mobile smartphone plans only on the Expanded Data Network that include data services. It costs $3 per month. A 14-day trial is available.
How to Block Spam Calls on Spectrum
You can use the call-blocking options of Spectrum to block some unwanted calls. Log into your Spectrum account and set your call-blocking options in the VoiceZone platform. The Spectrum call-blocking feature allows you to block up to 30 numbers. You also use the Call Guard feature which can block all telemarketing and robocalls, and the Anonymous Call Block feature which can block all anonymous calls without a caller ID.
Register National Do Not Call Lists
If you’re in the US, you may have heard about the National Do Not Call Registry. This government-run registry is designed to punish any business that sends unsolicited calls to any consumer who registers a number with the service. Furthermore, the National Do Not Call Registry is public information. That said, legitimate businesses do still use the National Do Not Call Registry to avoid any potential fines from the FTC. If the risks are worth it to you, you may want to still register to reduce spam calls from some businesses.
If you are outside of the US, other nationalized “do not call” lists exist in several other countries, as well:
- Canada: National Do Not Call List
- United Kingdom: Telephone Preference Service
- Australia: Do Not Call Register
- New Zealand: Do Not Call
- India: National Customer Preference Register
- Singapore: Do Not Call Registry
Use the Third-Party App RealCall (Automatic Spam Call Blocker)
RealCall is a tool that focuses on automatically blocking spam calls and spam text messages for both iOS and Android. Based on a strong number database and continuous iteration of blocking rules, it can effectively and automatically block 99% of robocalls, fraudulent calls, marketing calls, and of course, spam SMS.
Install RealCall, and keep spam calls away.
RealCall blocks numbers that are on the Global Blacklist of spam numbers, which is updated daily. When a number on this global blacklist calls you, it will automatically be blocked by RealCall.
- RealCall protection: the blocklist supports real-time updates, collecting millions of detected spam numbers and assisting you to block calls with an accuracy of up to 99%; important robocalls, like doctor appointments and school closings, are able to get through based on the Yellow Pages.
- Smart Assistant: AI Models help stay ahead of scammers before answering unknown calls with Scam Block technologies identifying; help you get revenge on all robocalls you don’t want to see anymore; automatically sends it to voicemail when you miss a call.
- Real SMS Protection: Custom blocking rules including specific keywords & numbers, number series; Fraud Awareness Building, with RealCall prevention and education and case studies
- Lookup: RealCall offers a rich and authentic database for you to see who it is; get more tips & tricks on the Fraud Prevention Academy. Learn how to stop spam calls and texts from reaching your smartphone.
If you want to find an app that works on your device, offers automatic call blocking and spam alerts, and makes it easy to report a number if a call slips through, RealCall with powerful features is suitable for you!
The best thing about the iPhone is that you can enable all the features and install all the apps we mentioned in this post. The more security features you have, the more protected you’ll be against annoying spam callers.